Whether you are moving into a brand new home or you are redecorating your existing family room, choosing a western theme can result in a warm and cozy feeling. Here are some ideas that might inspire you to create something unique and lovely.
The Walls - Consider pale shades of yellow, blue or green for your paint. Selecting any of these colors means that any other decor you select will work well in your room. If you want extra charm, consider adding a western stencil around the top of the walls. Stars, horses, dogs, boots, or anything else with a cowboy feeling would be perfect. Another idea is to get an expert to do faux painting that looks like leather. If you make that selection, consider adding dark wood chair railing around the middle of the room.
The Decor - Consider going through western magazines to get ideas.
- If you're buying new furniture, consider red or brown leather. If you're reupholstering existing furniture, think about a sturdy gingham or denim fabric. Red or blue denim would both be darling, but red would stand out more. A floral design would be nice, too.
- Add throw pillows with western sayings on them. Some to consider are Howdy, Y'all, Saddle Up or There's Nothing Like A Horse.
- Brass lamps with red or off-white lamp shades would be great with any of the choices you've made for your furniture.
- Consider framing old cowboy movie posters or pictures of stars like Roy Rodgers, William Boyd (of Hopalong Cassidy fame), and even a modern guy like Clint Eastwood.
The Window Treatment - Consider that sometimes you'll want a lot of light in the room, but at other times you'll want complete darkness.
- You'll probably be using your family room for watching movies and your favorite television shows. For that purpose, consider adding black-out shades.
- However, you'll probably want something in addition to those shades so that the windows will look beautiful.
- Denim draperies with a wooden valance would be really attractive. A cute touch would be to tie them back with wide grosgrain ribbon . If you've chosen blue denim, select red ribbons and vice versa.
- Another great selection would be to select a fabric with a fun western print on it. Cowboy hats, horses, spurs, jeans, western stars, or boots would all be perfect. For this treatment, consider curtain tie backs made of leather strips entwined with ribbon of one of the colors in your fabric print.
Have fun decorating your family room. For further assistance, contact professionals, such as those from Sylvans & Phillips Drapes and Blinds.